I am really excited for this months give-away. This month I am featuring an incredible family that we have had the pleasure of getting to know in Caronport. They are 6 months away from embarking on an incredible journey to Africa. A journey that I know is going to have such an amazing, profound effect on them. Amie just opened an Etsy shop and is selling these wonderful "C Coffee Cuffs". I really wanted to help support them and bring some awareness to the journey that they are about to embark on. I know that they are still in need of support to fulfill their financial obligations before they leave. I also know that they would love the 'prayer' support too.

I have a little interview that Jon completed for me and it will give you a little more insight into what they are doing and the journey that God is taking them on. We are super excited for them and know that God is going to do incredible things through them and in their lives. The Chalmers are an amazing family. You can also read more about their preparation, journey, etc. on Jon's blog and you can check out Amie's blog too--she also has a post about her Etsy shop.
1. When did you first think that God was laying it on your hearts to go to Africa? Tell us how you came to know that this was God's calling for your lives?
For Amie it has been since she was a child. She has always wanted to be a missionary in Africa. She signed the pledge cards at mission conferences and had committed her life at a young age to do something like this. So, she came to Briercrest College to pursue her education to go over. Then she met me. I had no interest at all in going over to Africa. But, thankfully, she made the decision to stick with me and marry me despite that and just trust God in His leading. So after pastoring a small rural church in Sask. for 4 years we felt called to come back to Seminary at Briercrest. About half way through my degree I had the classic student crisis like what am I going to do with this Master's degree when I am done. Amie and I talked through my giftings and desires. We came to the realization that I wanted to teach. So we began exploring options basically worldwide through missions organizations. That is when we came in contact with Africa Inland Mission. We loved their vision of "Christ-centered churches among all African peoples."
2. What will you be doing in Africa and how long will you be there?
I (Jon) will be teaching at a bible College called Pwani Bible Institute in Mombasa, Kenya. Pwani has a 4 year degree bible program and they train pastors, ministry leaders, and church leaders for ministry in Africa. Students are men and women ranging in age from 18-60. Amie is going to be caring for our three children Elijah (6), Grace (5), and Ian (1). At this point she is planning on home schooling them at least for the first year we are in Mombasa. So, in some senses life will look like here in North America. I will go to work and come home in the evenings and Amie will be able to care for the kids. Except, it won't be nearly as neat and organized as it is here! One can't plan ahead too much in Africa! As far as time frame and length of service in Africa. We are leaving this July and are committing to a 4 year term with Africa Inland Mission. It is kind of crazy to think that the only life our youngest son Ian will remember when we come back will be Kenya. He will have no reference of our life here in Canada.
3. Where in Africa will you be going?
We are moving to Mombasa, Kenya. It is the second biggest city in Kenya. It is a Port city located right on the Indian Ocean. The city itself is heavily influenced by Islam even though Kenya as a nation is predominately influenced by Christianity.
4. What has been your biggest challenge in preparing to leave thus far?
I think for us it has been the challenge to trust God's plan for our preparation to leave. It has been God constantly challenging us to dependence upon Him. Our work plans for this year completely fell apart. We thought we had everything lined up to make for an easy year before we left for Kenya but in the summer my job fell through. Leaving us completely at a loss. Amie was working part-time at a Subway/Coffee Shop in town and was able to ask for more hours. Obviously, this was not ideal and we both have had to take on new roles for this year. God has taught us a lot in that. Included, in this theme of dependence has been trusting God to supply for our needs in going to Africa. Because Africa Inland Mission is a faith mission we have to raise up our living expenses and all our one-time costs. Again, this is something we can't control. The last thing we want to do is manipulate or push people into financially participating in this ministry. But, it is a constant struggle not to count numbers and people as we prepare. We have decided that we will take up every opportunity God gives us to share about the amazing work He is doing in Kenya and explain our needs but leave it at that. God has been so gracious and we have spent many miles on the road this year visiting with churches and people.
5. What will be your biggest obstacles upon arrival?
The CHANGE! Cultural and also just the amount of moving we will do in Kenya. We go through a series of different training opportunities before we actually are allowed to begin ministry. First there is a month of training for all new AIM missionaries that we do near Nairobi. After that we do a homestay with a Kenyan family for 2-4 weeks. Where we live with them and learn about the culture. After, that we will move into our place in Mombasa. At that point we will begin language training in Swahili, which may last another 4-6 months. Although, I will teach in English it is important for us to be able to connect with the people in their mother tongue.
6. Any prayer requests for your last 6 months in Canada?
1. Physical strength and endurance for the traveling and visiting that we must yet still do. 2. That we would be filled spiritually and emotionally with strength as we begin to say good-bye to family and friends. 3. For our children, and that they would make a smooth transition into life in Africa. 4. For the rest of our support to be pledged or coming in before we leave.
I am giving away three sets of "C Coffee Cuffs". So three lucky readers will receive these awesome gifts. Tim Horton's has started charging for extra cups (their coffee is so darn hot, you need it), so ours will stay in the van. You can check out Amie's Etsy shop to see the various styles, colours, etc.
When I started doing the Wonderful Wednesday giveaways, I knew that I wanted to include a mix of international organizations, local organizations, and also local people that are doing extraordinary work for His kingdom. To me, it is important to recognize these people and the struggles, hardships, praises, etc. that they face. It is important to see and realize that we are not alone and I truly love hearing stories, testimonies of real life people close to me and seeing how God is and has been working in their lives. So please, most imporatnaly keep the Chalmers in your prayers and if you feel led to, buy some Coffee Cuffs or donate to help ensure they have the support before they leave.
Before I forget, in your comments,( if you want) tell me about a major change that has happened in your life and how you dealt with it?
4 comments:
okay! here i go again! i am going to try to win your coffee cup thingy...which i do love tims coffee and it is very hot!!! so, a change in my life..hmm probably the one that stands out the most is when i married ben and moved to canada. I quit my dream job. i moved as far north as i posibly could...i left all my friends and family....it was a very tough year for me. Yet, it was wonderful also because i was with the love of my life. Thanks for doing theese little prize blogs. i love them.
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to my top five and that'll have to do. I'll list them in order of occurrence, not significance.
1. When I became a 'real' Christian. I had asked the Lord into my life when I was a young child but never truly 'walked the talk' on the week days. Every year I'd go to camp and re-dedicate my life to Christ, but when I was 15 I said I was ready to go where God wanted "even if there are spiders", and when I went home that year I really lived it. This was also when I moved in with my aunt and uncle who were very helpful in my walk with Christ.
2. When I lost my virginity. I suppose this is fairly self-explanatory, so I won't go into too much detail, but I remember feeling that something changed and that I wouldn't feel the same again. I don't regret things in life, because I believe all of our experiences make us who we are as people, but I would love to have saved that moment for my husband. I will say, though, that the first time with my husband was far different and is much more important a memory for me.
3. Hitting and killing a man who successfully commit suicide by jumping off an overpass in front of my car on the #1 highway in BC. At the time I had a career path and was going to school 45 minutes away from my home. After the accident I quit school because I wasn't willing to risk my life each day on the road. Thankfully I regained my driving confidence and didn't lock myself inside for the rest of my life! There was nothing I could do and I don't feel bad about anything, but it's not really something you ever forget happened to you. Seeing as my family started me off on the comedic healing route by saying "wow, the men are just throwing themselves at you" (hopefully nobody's offended by this) I have on more than one occasion told the story while laughing and I am thankful for God's grace in helping me move past this event.
3. The day I met my husband. It really was love at first sight. He pictured me in a wedding dress the moment he saw me. I started writing a song when I got home that night about knowing something was up. We were engaged 8 days later and married a month and a half after that. Marriage is hard (which is why I insist constantly that people call me Mrs. instead of Ms.!) but I am so very thankful that God knew more about what I needed than I did and that he placed Jesse and I together in such a unique way.
5. Becoming a mom (twice). My children continually challenge me and make me grow as a person, and all the while they're so CUTE! I have the most amazing children -- don't try to argue with me;-)! I look forward to them continuing to change me and impress me, bring me to tears and laughter, and surprise me for the rest of my life!
Thanks for the question, it's nice to reflect on things, and a really fun/nice way to enter a contest! I think I'm just going to copy and paste this into my blog for my next post:-)
Hope you guys are still doing well!!!
Again I forgot to check the follow-up comment thing...thanks again for the question - sorry for such a long post!
The coffee cuffs are very neat, and would be very well used in this house as well. Btw, sorry I missed out on the last Wonderful Wednesday giveaway. I loved it, but just didn't get to commenting until it was too late.
Challenges, well, we could name quite a few, but the two that stand out the most are: moving to Poland and having an emergency c-section. I know you can relate to both of those challenges. Moving to Poland took a lot of prayer, a lot of crying out to God, and completing an amazing study on Song of Songs. That study really changed my perception of Christ and his love for me, filled the lonely spaces of my heart and taught me that He is my first love more than my husband can be.
The c-section took a lot of time to work through. Mostly to let go of the thoughts that I wasn't as good of a mother because I didn't have my child naturally. And also to let go of the pain and anger I felt because I wasn't given that gift, to hold my son as soon as he was born and to hear those first newborn cries. Dealing with it took completely brokenness, kneeling down and crying and telling Him all that I was feeling, and then putting the prayer that "even if we never have anymore child, and I never get to experience those moments again - He.Is.Enough" into our prayer box. Letting go the things I don't understand, and trusting the things I do - that He is Good and His plans are perfect.
Post a Comment