Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Wonderful Wednesday

I am super excited for this month's giveaway. I have actually been trying to do this giveaway since I started in November. I had all sorts of problems with the company accepting international payments, but I must say that they have been so extremely forthright, honest and amazing at communicating with me and of now getting the product to me (thanks Gwen and Suzanne). So here we are with this month's giveaway which is really going towards helping raise awareness and financial means for two incredible organizations.

Up for grabs are two beaded necklaces made from recycled paper. The women in Uganda who make these necklaces roll the beads by hand, dip them in varnish and thread them onto the string. Prior to learning how to make these necklaces, most of these amazing women 'picked trash' or turned to prostitution to provide for their children.

I first learned about these necklaces through this first amazing blog/organization/young woman over at AMAZIMA. It is what has helped start an amazing personal journey for me, which is by no means even close to being completed, but has really changed my heart and challenged it. You see Katie is an amazing young woman (in her early twenties when she started) who has adopted 14 girls . Please check in and read her blog, her posts bring me to tears all of the time. Why has this woman and her God given mission affected me so much? So much can be said, but something that has really been on my heart lately is the whole idea of Role Models. Especially now that I have a little girl, I want there to be positive role models for my Princess. Not the role models who litter the media today, whom little girls go crazy over and they really have not done a thing to warrant such admiration by these young, naive, impressionable little ones. Not the fake, phony, plastic, money hungry, hollywood stars that are taking our young girls by storm, that our young girls aspire to be like. You see Katie is real, she is young, beautiful and most importantly she has left all, yes I said ALL the comforts of her native land, to pursue what SHE KNOWS GOD wants for her life. AMAZING! I can not believe how 'together' she is at such a young age. How she is taking on so many hardships, responsibilities and roles at such a young age. How honest and so completely real she is. I pray that my little princess can look to this amazing woman as a positive role model for her life and walk with the Lord.

The second organization is called 147 million orphans (their website is currently under construction, but do check back). Gwen and Suzanne are two families that are "following our calling in speaking up for those who do not have a voice". 147 million Orphans was created with a threefold purpose:

1. help feed children world-wide (50+%)
2. bring awareness to the orphan crisis,
3. assist adoptive families with fund-raising (100%) through the sale of original and handmade products.

So this is the organization that sells the beaded necklaces along with various other handmade products from Uganda to help both local African refugees and Ugandan woman.

I am so excited to be able to offer two necklaces. Yes that is right.... TWO lucky readers can win these beautiful necklaces (as you can see they are a big hit with even the littlest princess). Please leave a comment on my blog by next Wednesday evening (Jan.12). I want to know who your Role Model is and why?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, v! this is such an awesome giveaway! i've read kelley's blog and it is very inspiring.

my mom gave me one of these necklaces last year for my birthday and it is my favourite. i just love wearing it and knowing that it was made by someone in africa who is starting over.

hope you are doing well!

Hoping For Fair said...

I really want to get in on this givaway, but I'm having a super tough time figuring out who my mentor is! Maybe that's what's wrong with me?

When I moved to SK from BC I knew that I was heading off on an adventure, but I don't think I really knew what it would be like to meet, marry, and have children with the man I love without my family anywhere close to me! Now we're in Caronport struggling (not always) to figure out how to be a good family with no family around.

So for now, I'm going to say that my current role model is Kristianne Bailey because she often babysits AdaLynn, and every time I pick Ada up, she's happier than when I dropped her off. To top that off, the house is so clean, warm and welcoming even when I pick up my high paced, smart, sneaky little girl after she's had a chance to terrorize the place!

Also, I took a chance to look into the links you posted and realised that I could sure be a lot less selfish than I am! My greatest concern seems to be my daughter spilling her milk on the floor constantly...no jiggers in sight!

I hope to one day be in a position where I can afford to help more than I do now and to continue to pursue generosity with the mean I currently have.

One last thing. It would have been lovely to have had more time with you before you guys moved! That sure sprang up out of nowhere, but I suppose it makes a lot of sense. We'll have to try to catch up once in a while in Regina!

Christina Buhler said...

vanessa, seriously.. I love this giveaway..and, i am challenged to think of who my role model is. i have come to realize that i dont have just one role model but probably several, for several diiferent reasons. I will list a few but honestly this has inspired me to do a blog on my role models so, i will just give a short peek at what it will say. I know this may sound cheesy but my ultimate role model would be jesus. That is my desire to honor him with my whole heart, and it is him i look to for guidance and example. I also admire several of my friends,. My old pastors wife Gayle Randolph. mt husband Ben Buhler etc... ( you will have to read my upcoming blog for more details...On that note i must go feed my "starving" children. Love you and i so hope i win.

eLaine said...

Hi Vanessa! How did your move go? This sounds like a fun contest. I have always admired African crafts, and I have a collection of African straw hats, baskets, and beadwork (seed beads). I also like the idea of recycling.
In my first year of teaching I used recycled materials with my students to create "works of art" which we donated to the local seniors' home. Chapters has coloring pencils made from recycled paper which are quite attractive.
In my life I have found that "ordinary" people can be quite "extraordinary!" I have been fortunate to have had the influence of many. I belong to a family with strong female role models......my Mom and Aunties on both my Mom and Dad's side. However, I have decided to chose one person for this contest, namely my Dad, William Bjorgum. Although he was old-fashioned in so many ways, he encouraged an education for his daughters. He believed in his children and encouraged their best. But more important than that was the way he treated other people.
When I was a teen, Dad and I had frequent, lively discussions. He made it quite clear that he did not like long-haired hippies. However, when I returned home one day from my summer job, I was greeted with, "Elaine, I helped a hippy today." The hippy was stranded on the road with a flat tire, I believe. Dad was also always helping neighbours find a "good deal" on a vehicle or farm implement. Mom always said that he should have been paid for his salesman services. This is an example of a character trait that I value: Treat people with respect, even if they are not your favorite people. One of my colleagues at Camrose Lutheran College once said, "God made me and God don't make no junk."
In my role as a teacher of inmates, I believe that it is important to remember that, first and foremost, I am working with human beings. Secondly, I believe I must not judge someone (if at all) by their worst act.
What a great picture of Genesis!! She reminds me so much of Rueben.
Love,
Auntie Elaine

Crystal said...

I love your giveaway, V! Both of those 'organizations' are amazing and doing great work! I bought some necklaces last spring and shared them with my 4 girls and they are very cool. I always get compliments when I wear mine :)

My mentor? I've had several at different times and my sister, my mom and my aunt all continue to inspire me. I've figured out that I come from a long line of 'givers' and that's what I do too.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Melanie said...

Wonderful giveaway again V! Gigi is quite the little model!
Though there have been many positive influences in my life - one constant role model has been my big sister. For as long as I remember I always wanted to be just like her! She is passionate, inspirational, loving, charismatic...and the list goes on! I'm so proud to be your little sis V and I know that you will continue to be a positive influence in my life! Love You!