Sunday, 13 June 2010

The Dress

My Grandma crocheted this dress for my Mom and I think a matching one for my Aunty Elaine (correct me if I am wrong Aunty Elaine). It was then passed down to their cousin Shirley, who I believed also passed it on to her daughter Heidi. I would love to get pictures of all of the family members who it was passed down to, wearing it.

A few months ago, Mom brought this beautiful pink box with this very same dress inside of it. It was sent to her by I believe Shirley and now she passed it on to me for Genesis to wear. I LOVE, LOVE, love items like this. The history, the time and care it took to make this dress and then for it to be passed on to so many people over almost 60 years---so incredible! I hope to keep 'the dress' going down the family line!

On Gigi's first birthday, I pulled it out and put it on her. It is a little too big for her. As she was walking her toe got caught in the bottom part of the dress. She was a little upset about that, however once I put her in front of her new tea set, she was fine. I hope that once she grows into it, I can take her outside and get some nice pictures of her in it. Also, I have been having a hard time trying to figure out what to put under it. I just put a tank top that is two sizes too big for her. It covered her diaper and everything, but ideally I would need a slip. Now about 60 years ago that would have been easy to find, but where on earth would I get a slip for a one year old??!






4 comments:

Crystal said...

What a sweet family heirloom to have! You just need to add your writing to the photo page and you have a great LO ready to print :))

It would be really easy to sew a little white cotton slip to put under the dress. Just a little experimenting with size, shoulder seams, side seams, and some zigzagging around the edges and you'd be good to go. Give it a try :)

Melanie said...

Oh yes I do remember this photo of mom. What a beautiful dress and beautiful color too! I totally think Gigi looks like you in these photos - so very cute!

eLaine said...

Great pics and story, Vanessa. The dress, like Crystal says,is a "sweet family heirloom." It is such a tribute to our very creative and skilled Mother/Grandmother. I will be posting some 'dress' pics when I have a few extra moments.

Heather M. said...

Oh my gosh, this is soooooo sweet! What a treasure! So glad your mom passed it on to you.

I wonder if Sears or the Bay would have some kind of slip. Otherwise, sewing might be your next best option.