Friday, 19 June 2009

2 weeks

Two weeks old already!! I can hardly believe it, although this week has been a real rough week and there are some days where it seems like so much longer than two weeks!!

Overwhelmed, frustrated, exhausted, yes those words seem to describe how we have felt this week, but we will get through and things are looking up already (she is napping)!

We went to the Pediatrician yesterday and this little one is growing like a weed. We took her in to the health clinic when she was four days old (she had a rapid breathing rate which we were a little concerned about--her brother had it too) and she had already gained weight (9 lbs 13 oz.). So we knew her weight would be on the rise and it was. She is now 10 lbs. 7 oz.!! Wow!

This week however has been rough. I am dealing with the same breastfeeding issues that I had with Zech. I don't produce enough of the pro-lactin hormone which means I will never produce enough milk to satisfy her (or Zech when he was little). I don't know why, nor do the doctors. They want to put me on drugs, but I am not comfortable with that, especially after you read the long list of side effects and the fact that they still do not have any conclusive studies that show the effects this drug has on the babies (cause yes they do take it in too). So I am doing all of the hebal methods I did with Zech and topping up with formula.

Formula is a whole different issue. We had her on what appeared to be a good formula, and we bought more, but she refused it. Then she started projectile vomitting and was so conjested and fussy. There were nights where all she wanted to do was breastfeed, but wouldn't get enough to be satisfied and sleep and would cry and cry and cry. It is horrible knowing that as her mother you can not satisfy her! (I was allergic to milk and Zech reacted to the formula quite violently too).

So we have had to do a bit of research and searching for different formula. We were going to put her on goat's milk (that is what we did for Zech), but new tests show that it does not have enough fat to help with proper brain development and it is really hard on their kidneys (Zech tuned out fine, but he was older too when we switched him to goat's milk). So we are trying a new formula now and if it doesn't work we have to go for a really expensive Lactose free one or we are going to the Natural Path doctor. So this week has been full of lots of vomitting, lots of diahreaa and lots of sleepless nights.

Zech is a whole different issue too. His poor little nose is bent right out shape! I feel horrible because I haven't been able to spend a whole bunch of time with him. John has been so great at taking him out and doing special things with him. However, he is testing us like you wouldn't believe. I know it will get better though. He has also been sick and is at the doctor as I sit here writing this.

So a few things at two weeks that we have learned about our little girl Genesis:

- She hates to be burped! Every time we try and burp her she cries and starts pecking away like a little bird on our shoulders. It is pretty funny!

- We call her the "vacuum". She can eat and she sucks the bottle back like you would not believe. We went out and bought new bottles with special nipples to slow the flow down. She was drinking way too quickly and had way too much gas.

- We also call her "squeaky". She doesn't cry much, she just squeaks and makes these funny noises. Zech laughs at her hysterically when she makes her noises!

- She loves to sleep on her side or right next to us or on us.

- She is a pretty content baby when she is fed and clean and there are no "feeding problems".

- She loves when Daddy tickles her--she squirms and squeaks and acts like she is so excited.


A few pictures:


One week old



Is this a sign of more things to come!! :o) I was trying to get a nice picture of these two, but Zech insisted on bothering her.


4 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh, Vanessa! That's a lot to deal with, especially when you've just delivered a baby. Praying that you can get the formula figured out and that sleep comes soon to all of you. Zech will adjust - try to be patient and gentle on yourself. Maybe he needs a sleepover at Gramma's house next week! Thank you for taking time to blog in the middle of all these adjustments. Take care!!

Crystal said...

Oh, Vanessa! That's a lot to deal with, especially when you've just delivered a baby. Praying that you can get the formula figured out and that sleep comes soon to all of you. Zech will adjust - try to be patient and gentle on yourself. Maybe he needs a sleepover at Gramma's house next week! Thank you for taking time to blog in the middle of all these adjustments. Take care!!

Tyler and Melinda said...

Ah, Vanessa. We're praying things get sorted out with the feedings.
We too have a little bird who likes to peck away at our shoulders, but mostly when he's hungry and looking for mom.
She's a sweetie with beautiful dark features. Thanks for sharing and updating us. I know how hard it is to get to the computer and type something with a newborn.

Heather M. said...

thinking of you and praying that you get things figured out quickly! the beginning is such a huge adjustment for everyone. she is such a beautiful girl!

feel free to call or email if you have any questions or need someone to vent to.